Sunday, October 4, 2009

I'm still here :)

I want to deeply apologize to all of  you who have been waiting patiently (well, some you have had a breadkdown :) for my next blog post.   I have been away a lot with no internet so that has been delaying the process.  So much to tell you about!!  Let's just say I am a Spanish speaking Latin girl in every way!  ha! 

I'll pick up where I left off at:

A little over a week ago I went to la costa (the coast) to visit my grandparents, uncle and 2 of the cutest little cousins.  I really do enjoy going to their home, but I do have to admit it takes some extra grace and patience.  The climate is very humid and and mosquitos want to be your best friend, but the humidity keeps everything very green.  My family has beautiful property, horses, turkeys, cows, and get this...an iguana farm!!  My unlce Guilmar made the iguana farm many years ago and works very hard to keep up with everything on the land.  

The front door.  My grandpa built this house 10 yrs. ago. It's actually quite big and is open all the way around with about 4 bedrooms enclosed and a few others open.  It never really gets cold enough to have insulated walls.
I think it's a beautiful home.

The kitchen, dining area and other living room. 
The outdoor bathroom and shower.
Some of the many iguanas on the farm.
The iguana farm

You might think these are just dirt mounds out in the pasture, but you're
wrong. They are iguanas grazing out in the morning.


My heart hurts for this part of the family.  I know there is a lot of brokenness in their lives right now.  My little cousins do not get to see their mother as often as most so my grandma is practically raising them.  Disagreements cause fighting and grudges, depression and sadness, but in the midst of this I see the beauty in my cousins, my grandpa and grandma, and uncle.  I feel like I had the privilege to care for this little boy and girl while I was there.  Being in such an amazing community at home, I have been influenced and mentored by strong women in so many ways that relate to me now and so much for the future.  What I have taken away from these women is their joy in helping their children and other's children experience and find out who they are and what they enjoy.  I got to see that in each of these precious children. 

Gabriela 
7 yrs. old
Beautiful curls and big smile.


Gabi is full of creativeness.  She loves writing songs and stories. She is such a romantic :)  Also, loves dance (I wonder where she gets that from...?) She showed me some dances and songs she learned from school and when she was a cheerleader.  She is doing great in school and is so smart. I enjoyed having her teach me words in Spanish while I taught her in English.  Very strong willed and likes to pick on her little brother out of love :)
(Carolyn, Gabi says hi and she loves you!)

Guilmar
4 yrs. old
So sweet and spunky.


Guilmar is such a boy.  He is in kindergarten and looks adorable in his school uniform.  He loves to paint and color!  I would draw him pictures in pencil and he would snatch them and run off to go fill them with color for me :) This boy is a monkey, too! Literally hanging and jumping from the trees acting like Tarzan.  He has the yell down to perfection.  He longs to be touched and held and it doesn't take him long to fall asleep in your arms.

My uncle Guilmar and his son



mi abuelita. so beautiful and loving.

having lunch. mmm...the food :)

 making homemade tortillas. literally fresh for every meal.

making homemade cheese from the cow's milk :)

:)

All of these pictures and thoughts make me think about my mom. All the things she did and experienced when she was young. I see so much of myself in her and feel so blessed to be experiencing it.
These people are a piece of my life from another country. 
I love them.






No comments:

Post a Comment